- This event has passed.
The role of participatory budgeting in community wealth building models
23 November @ 12:00 pm - 2:00 pmFree
This webinar will explore how participatory budgeting can put the ‘community’ into Community Wealth Building.
We will draw from experience in Scotland where both community wealth building and PB practice are well established tools for community empowerment. This will include North Ayrshire Council’s progress in embedding CWB practices:
- the renewed commitment to mainstream PB from local and central government in Scotland, meeting and exceeding the target of allocating 1% of local authority budgets via PB.
- its role in recovery and renewal from the pandemic.
- the recent framework for the future of PB in Scotland developed by the National Strategic PB Group.
Through a Q&A session, panel and delegates will consider this learning and seek to draw out lessons for NI.
Confirmed speakers (so far) include:
- Joe Cullinane, North Ayrshire Council. Joe was appointed Leader of North Ayrshire Council on 30 August 2016 and on 17 May 2017 following a change in administration. Following a Cabinet reshuffle in June 2020, it was agreed that his portfolio would be for matters relating to Community Wealth Building, as well as areas such as the budget and the Ayrshire Growth Deal.
- Louise O’Kane, PB Works. Louise is Planner and Head of Engagement at Community Places which is the co-ordinating body for the Participatory Budgeting Works project. PB Works includes a range of organisations from the public, community and voluntary sector working together to create an enabling and supportive environment for participatory budgeting.
To register >