Set up in 1997, this not for profit social enterprise puts the environment at the core of all activities & projects.
Key focuses for the park are as follows:
- Environmental education programmes ‘Nature’s Classroom’ & ‘Forest Academy’
- Nature Hub and Nature therapy activities
- Biodiversity and Green Infrastructure strategies led by Derry City and Strabane District Council
- Action projects to protect priority species and enhance priority habitats
- Upcycling old wetsuits & boats into new items
- Encouraging participation in environmental volunteering
- Utilising renewable energy including; biomass boiler, a hydroelectric scheme and turf roof
- Providing ‘best practice’ visits to businesses, universities, colleges and international visitors
Exciting future sustainable plans include installing solar PV, rehydration stations to encourage refill of water bottles and a community fridge.
More information can be found at www.creggancountrypark.com
Twitter handle: @CregganCountry1