The UK Government, Welsh Government, Scottish Government and the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs for Northern Ireland are all committed to tackling plastic pollution and its impact on our environment, economy and health. Our goal is to maximise resource efficiency and minimise plastic waste, by following the principles of the waste hierarchy: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. This includes moving away from a take, make, waste model and towards a circular economy for plastic.
This consultation is focused on wet wipes containing plastic and addressing their impact on the environment. The UK Government and Devolved Administrations are seeking views on a proposed ban on the manufacture, supply and sale of wet wipes containing plastic. The proposed ban, subject to consultation outcomes, would be applied by individual countries in the UK and be implemented via their own legislative mechanisms.
We want to find out what your views are on banning the manufacture, supply and sale of wet wipes containing plastic in the UK. We are seeking views on:
- The likely impact of the proposed ban on the businesses who manufacture, supply or sell wet wipes containing plastic;
- The likely impact of the proposed ban for consumers, particularly for those with protected characteristics, e.g. disabled people;
- Any wider impacts of keeping plastic containing wet wipes in circulation;
- Any wider impacts of wipes marketed as alternative or plastic-free;
- The composition of alternative wet wipes;
- If any exemptions are needed for wet wipes containing plastic; and
- The proposed timeframe for the commencement of the ban.
The consultation will last for 6 weeks and be running from 14th October 2023 to 25th November 2023.
Responses should be submitted via this survey.
Responses can also be submitted in writing to: Consultation Coordinator, Defra 2nd Floor, Foss House, Kings Pool 1-2 Peasholme Green York YO1 7PX or via email to: email@example.com